I might just be dumb but why are people so horrified over this? I don’t understand :/
God, I don’t knoooooow, it’s just such a dorky old man thing to do? Which, so, like, of course he did? But also: god, of course he did, damn it.
Also, more seriously: to me it reads very frat boy, super white, very “I am going wild and crazy! See how crazy I am?! I CAN TOTALLY BE CRAZY!!!” and I just.
Honey, you have been in New York for over a year now, why isn’t it magically making you cooler? Wasn’t that part of what it was supposed to do? Also: Isabelle would not let that shit stand, I am just saying.
I feel like I am flailing at this explanation. Anybody else?
I have not seen a single person on my dash talk about how embarrassed they are to see Kurt dancing with his tie tied around his forehead like some kind of Banker Gone Wild.
Here are possible explanations for that, as I see them:
- This conversation is happening, just not where I can see it (link me, gdi)
- We are so used to Kurt being a total doofus while he dances that it just doesn’t even register anymore
- We are so distracted by that rolling puppy pile that we just haven’t gotten around to it yet (in which case, here you go)
- My bead on what is an awesome thing to do is totally miscalibrated and somewhere out there in the world, people are celebrating Kurt’s badass tie headband
On tumblr as a space for conversation
Linking to this post rather than reblogging, because I’m about to take it off-topic and that is part of the problem with tumblr, really. :-D
OK, so I have no idea what these people are talking about. None. Zero.
But the turn that the conversation takes toward the end of the original response and throughout Emma’s follow-up comment into what makes tumblr so ill-suited for long, complicated conversations is (a) a thing that so many of us who have been doing fandom for a long time and across multiple platforms have observed, but also (b) a framing for it that I’ve never really seen before, and I think it’s interesting.
The girl and I were hanging out on the bed, cuddling and listening to music, and we got onto a Regina Spektor tear, and then I had to watch this vid that lim made years ago for Freedom’s Just Another Word, which will forever and ever be my favorite piece of fic ever. Ever. Did I say ‘ever’ enough times?
The vid still makes me cry over that story, 8 years later.
Fuck fandom has moments of brilliance that are just breathtaking. And make me feel wholly, irredeemably inadequate, because damn.
(And if you are new to fandom, and have never seen lim’s much more well-known vid Us, you owe it to yourself to go watch that and read the commentary. It was so controversial in its time, but that thing has endured.)
who sings 'all of me'
There is no context in which this is not fascinating.
There is no context in which it does not make me want to die from maximal feelings.
Last night this commercial came on while I was falling asleep. And the music underneath it isn’t even music; it’s just warming-up-noises, but it hit me in the gut so hard and made my heart sing so much that I woke up a little just rewind the DVR a few times to wallow around in it, especially that third part where the bass line comes in. God, it was awesome.
So anyway. My working-playlist to date has been mostly occupied by older R&B and jazz. I know, I know, but it’s a very John Coltrane-Al Green-Quincy Jones-Esperanza Spalding-John Legend kind of space. And that’s awesome, but now I think I want to start building a new one with orchestral soundtracks. I want that bass-y feeling, on the regular.
Anybody have a great recommendation for me?
Discussion question: Alternate Universe fic
Here is a thing I want to talk and think about this week. Consider this a discussion question, if you’re feeling it. I am just curious, and thinking about this, and want somebody’s mind-fodder besides my own.
Do you read AU fic?
Have you always, or did it take you a while to get into it?
If you were late to the glories of AU, do you know why?
And if you are a big AU fan, what do you like about them?
Do you even make this distinction in your head (“I’m in the mood for canon!fic right now”), or not really?
Think about your favorite fics: how many of them are AUs? Did you know this about your reading preferences, or is it something you’re surprised to realize?
Do you think futurefic is inherently AU?
And if you don’t really like AU fic: do you know why?
I should say: these little prompty questions are broad on purpose. For these purposes, AU means both “operating in a universe that is not identical to the one presented in canon, like with superpowers or soulmates-printed-on-your-skin or interstellar space travel or vampires or whatever distinguishes it from the canon!universe” and “operating in a universe that is identical to the one presented in canon, only with certain events tweaked so that we are now on some alternate-canon-timeline”. But if you have feelings about one versus the other, and what they do for you as a reader, I’d love to hear about that, too.
My own response to these questions, and part of why I asked.
Continue in my indecisiveness until the free time is gone and spent the rest of the day regretting my indecisiveness.
Right?! THIS IS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO.
OK, I have some time, so I’m finally going to reblog that thing from yesterday with my thoughts about AUs, because y’all were awesome and gave me SO MUCH, but first, here, let’s do another thing that might be helpful to somebody other than me, because my dash is filled with busy creative types.
You know that feeling where you finally have a little time freed up and you can turn to your list of stuff you had on hold waiting for this moment and then that list is so overwhelming in both its magnitude and awesomeness that you freeze up and dither forever over which one to choose? What do you do to get through that?
To all the Tumblr users who tend to use tags very liberally:
Let’s play a game.
Type the following words into your tags box, then post the first automatic tag that comes up.
you, also, what, when, why, how, look, because, never
100% ACCURATE. Second husband wouldn’t even have to have sex with me or deal with teenagers. I feel like this is just SUCH a small thing to ask.
Job listing for a personal coach/assistant
This will be a great job, trust me. Must be able and willing to:
- manage my digital files and digital media collection because that shit is insane and I have stuff EVERYWHERE and I just want to sit on my bed and have all my stuff be easy to find. On my TV. Because that is why it is there, and I am using my laptop for other stuff.
- make cool animations to the rambling directions I give you. For powerpointing purposes.
- bully me into the shower every morning because I know I will feel better and more clear-headed and skipping isn’t so much gross as it is just super counter-productive.
- hustle me into getting my ass out the door every day to go to my office and work in a timely fashion. I’m entering a great abyss of writing right now and this is especially critical.
- listen to me talk about my work in endless circles and not get caught up in the angst and indecision of it all, but instead have pointed and thoughtful suggestions about next step.
- cut my fingers off by closing the laptop, forcibly if necessary.
- make dinner twice a week so the husband doesn’t have to worry about it.
- take care of the rapidly expanding donations pile that is slowly eating the guest room.
- also the ability to pick up this blanket that I am knitting and finish the giant motherfucker so I can finally give it to the people who got married in August 2013 is a definite plus. At gauge.
Compensation non-existent, except for that warm glowy feeling you will get from a job well done. Also I will keep you stocked in Caffeine Free Diet Dr. Pepper and calorie-free watermelon water and probably also Lucky Charms and Cheetos and coffee.
gleekto answered your post: A question about last night’s ep
It WAS weird. I think (guessing) it was like a ‘straight man’ choice (the theatre term) - the chaos going on around him while he witnesses
OK, that’s what I thought (and we all seem to be in agreement) but since it never really got followed up on I was just a bit lost. I’ll just assume that it was another thing lost to the cutting room floor, I guess.
I actually watched that whole thing like 3 times trying to get the joke. Oops, Glee.
(And also: man editing is important in shaping a story.)